Jakaya Mrisho Kikwete Foundation (JMKF) partnered with UNFPA Tanzania and Sahara Ventures to run an ideation from 12th to 14th November 2021.The main objectives of this Activity were to identify the Maternal and Newborn challenges in Tanzania and to generate innovative solutions to address Maternal and Newborn Challenges in Tanzania.
Thirty-one (31) people participated in the ideation process, which included defining and validating the MNCH challenges with experts from the MoHCDGEC, healthcare workers, civil society organizations, innovators, and youth from the following institutions; Ministry of Health Community Development, Gender, and Children (Department of Reproductive and Child Health Service, Family Planning, Newborn and child, Prevention Mother to Child Transmission, Cancer), Amref Health Africa, Mwananyamala Regional Referral Hospital, Muhimbili University of Health and Allied Sciences (MUHAS), Muhimbili National Hospital (MNH), Tanzania Insurance Brokers Association (TIBA), Ambitious Tanzania, SemaTanzania, Tanzania Men as Equal Partners in Development (TMEPiD), Community Health Auspices and Shield Organization (CoHASO), Al-Maktoum College of Engineering and Technology (AMCET) Hub, Mbande Dispensary, Institute of Finance Management (IFM), and Youth Innovators. In this process five (5) key challenges were identified. The following were the challenge statements hacked by the stakeholders during the hackathon workshop.
- How shall we enhance early booking and consistent antenatal care visits (ANC) to reduce maternal and newborn complications?
- How shall we increase awareness, access to crucial information, and accessibility to RMNCAH+N while adhering to practices and socio-economic backgrounds?
- How shall we enhance knowledge and skills to health providers in maternal and newborn complications?
- How shall we enhance the availability of facilities for maternal and newborns?
- How shall we Increase community awareness, access, and in particular male involvement on issues related to RMNCAH+N?
Different innovative solutions to address the challenges were developed and disseminated during the RMNCAH+N Conference. The solutions that emerged in this exercise are open sourced for innovators to further develop and realize them The Solution document booklet has been developed that provides necessary information for the Innovators and other key stakeholders for further solution hacking as well as development
‘Are you innovative?’ Please share any new innovation: Innovations need to actually work for or solving Maternal and Newborn Challenges in Tanzania health system.